Do You Know Black Mold?
No homeowner wants black mold, but do you know what it is? Also called Stachybotrys, black mold grows in moist spots and is most commonly found around condensation or pools or standing water inside. Spores come into your house through doors, other openings and can also be tracked on shoes and coats. While most fungus found in your house are harmless, this species causes illness with years of exposure.
What are the Health Risks?
Black mold is a poisonous mold that releases airborne toxins. Symptoms include chronic coughing, eye, nose and throat irritation and rashes. Other symptoms include chronic fatigue and persistent headaches. Nausea, vomiting and bleeding in the lungs and nose occur in the most severe cases of long term exposure.
Mold doesn’t take long to permeate walls, floors and ceilings. Whenever your home experiences water damage, you should have a professional check the walls for mold infestations. They can go unseen for weeks, and then spring up essentially overnight.
Once mold produces colonies in your property, it quickly grows and discharges toxins that make life difficult for residents:
- Mold releases a pungent, musty smell that stops rooms from smelling clean.
- Mold wreaks havoc on allergy-sensitive individuals, as well as those with asthma, causing a physical reaction.
- Mold can cause coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, and difficulty breathing.
- Mold toxins can trigger chronic inflammation and ongoing cold-like symptoms.
- Individuals with weakened immune systems can get systemic infections of the lungs, skin, or digestive tract.
- In rare cases, mold toxins can cause neurological issues or even death.
- The more lengthy the exposure, the greater the danger.
Exceptionally damp homes and offices can be vulnerable to mold infestations even if no water damage has happened. If you see or smell something that could be mold, get an expert opinion immediately.
To get rid of mold, the setting where it prospers must first be eliminated. Water sources have to be handled, and any residual moisture must be efficiently dried out. Only then can mold elimination and remediation start.
Whether a leaky roof, burst pipe, or other opening, it isn’t enough to close the tide. Moisture can saturate hidden portions of your home. Without proper cleanup processes, mold will keep coming back to these areas.
If you suspect your house may have black mold, contact Paul Davis now. We safely test and confirm the existence of black mold before removal. Depend on our contractors to eliminate black mold quickly. Keep your family safe, request a black mold inspection now.