What is Black Mold?
Every homeowner worries about black mold, but do you know what it is? Also called Stachybotrys, black mold likes to grow in moist places and is often found around condensation or pools or stagnant water inside. These spores enter the house via doors, other entrances or tracked on shoes and clothing. Although most molds found in your house aren’t dangerous, black mold can cause health issues with years of exposure.
What are the Health Risks?
Black mold is a poisonous mold that releases airborne toxins. The most common symptoms include chronic coughing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat and rashes. In addition, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning. Especially severe occasions of prolonged contact to black mold are more life threatening. Paired with an allergy to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
More about Mold
Mold quickly spread across walls, floors and ceilings. Whenever your home suffers water damage, you should have a Paul Davis technician check the walls for mold infestations. They can go unseen for weeks, and then appear virtually overnight.
Once mold produces colonies in your property, it immediately breeds and discharges toxins that make life miserable for occcupants:
- Mold emanates a strong, musty scent that stops rooms from smelling clean.
- Mold causes serious problems for allergy-sensitive individuals, as well as those with asthma, causing a physical reaction.
- A black mold infestation can cause coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, and trouble breathing.
- Mold toxins can activate chronic inflammation and ongoing cold-like symptoms.
- Individuals with weakened immune systems can get systemic infections of the lungs, skin, or digestive tract.
- In rare cases, mold toxins can cause neurological issues or even death.
- The more extended the exposure, the more severe the danger.
Exceptionally humid homes and offices can be subject to mold infestations even if no water damage has occurred. If you see or smell something that could be mold, get an expert opinion right away.
To get rid of mold, the environment where it thrives must first be eliminated. Water sources have to be dealt with, and any residual moisture must be carefully dried out. Only then can mold elimination and remediation start.
Whether a dripping roof, burst pipe, or other opening, it isn’t enough to close the tide. Moisture can soak hidden portions of your home. Without proper cleanup methods, mold will keep returning to these areas.
If you think your house may be growing black mold, reach out to Paul Davis today. Our team inspects for existence of black mold before removal. Depend on our contractors to remove black mold quickly. Don’t risk your health, schedule an inspection for black mold today.