Call Paul Davis: About Black Mold
No homeowner wants black mold, but what is it? Black mold (also known as Stachybotrys) grows in damp areas and is often seen around condensation or where there’s been water damage. Spores enter the home by windows, small openings or brought in on shoes and clothing. While most molds around your home aren’t dangerous, this species can cause illness if ignored.
Black Mold Poisoning
The spores black mold releases are the reason behind black mold poisoning. Symptoms include chronic sneezing, eye, nose and throat irritation as well as skin rashes. Additionally, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning. Nausea, vomiting and bleeding in the lungs and nose are seen in the most serious cases of long term exposure.
Mold quickly spread across walls, floors and ceilings. Whenever your home experiences water damage, you should have a professional check the walls for mold infestations. They can go unseen for weeks, and then spring up essentially overnight.
Once mold creates colonies in your property, it quickly grows and discharges toxins that make life difficult for occcupants:
- Mold emits a strong, mildewed smell that stops rooms from smelling fresh.
- Mold wreaks havoc on allergy-sensitive people, as well as those with asthma, causing a physical reaction.
- Mold can cause coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, and trouble breathing.
- Mold toxins can activate long-lasting inflammation and constant cold-like symptoms.
- Individuals with compromised immune systems can get systemic infections of the lungs, skin, or digestive tract.
- In rare instances, mold toxins can cause neurological problems or even death.
- The more lengthy the exposure, the greater the danger.
Unusually damp homes and offices can be vulnerable to mold infestations even if no water damage has happened. If you see or smell something that could be mold, get an skillful opinion immediately.
To get rid of mold, the environment where it prospers must first be eliminated. Water sources have to be dealt with, and any residual moisture must be carefully dried out. Only then can mold elimination and remediation start.
Whether a leaky roof, burst pipe, or other entry point, it isn’t enough to curtail the tide. Moisture can soak hidden sections of your home. Without proper cleanup procedures, mold will keep returning to these areas.
If you think your home may contain black mold, speak with Paul Davis today. Our team analyzes for existence of black mold before starting treatment. You can depend on our professionals to eliminate black mold effectively. Keep your family safe, schedule a black mold inspection today.